Jobhop Jobhop's blog : Digital Marketing Manager Required, What You Need To Know
Let’s say that you’ve stumbled upon a job advert that requires someone who is and has the title "Digital Marketing Manager“.
What can you expect from such a job? Would you be able to do it?
First of all, let’s see what's usually required to be a Digital Marketing Manager.
What skills does a Digital Marketing Manager need?
What IT-related skills do you need to have to apply for a job like this?
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Advanced research skill
- A solid understanding of different aspects of digital marketing, such as social media marketing, content marketing, affiliate marketing, SEO, E-commerce, Analytics and digital public relations, and campaign management.
- There are also some additional skills required which are not related to digital but equally important, such as:
- Proficiency in the English language
- Advanced team management skills
- Leadership skills
- Advanced organisational skills
- Thorough understanding of classic marketing Of course, nobody is perfect, and you may miss one aspect of this or another, but as long as you know, where you need to up-skill you should be alright. Also, skills may vary depending on the business niche that requires digital promotion. For example, some businesses, which have a lot of competition on the Internet might put emphasis on good analytics skills, while some might focus more on social media marketing or campaign management.
What to do if you have excellent marketing skills, but no IT skills?
If you are struggling to keep up with the new concepts that rapidly change in the world of digital marketing, or you have no skills at all in this area, you should consider checking out the Coursera course which targets people who already have knowledge in marketing but no appropriate IT qualifications.
The first couple of lessons will tell you generally about the implementation of digital marketing into the already existing marketing techniques. Later, you will deal with analytics, social media marketing and it covers popular channels available on the Internet for heading successful marketing campaigns.
What to do if you have IT skills, but no marketing knowledge?
There are not many online courses that strictly teach only traditional marketing, but there are some websites which cover that area up to certain extent. Check out these Alison courses list and see if you can find something that suits you.
One of their courses is called "Introduction to Marketing Course“, and it is targeted only to people who want to learn about marketing, both traditional and contemporary. You will learn how to approach a task or a problem in marketing from different perspectives and how to carry it out like a professional. The great thing about Alison courses is that they are completely free.
What are other interesting courses?
A very popular course is the one provided by Google via Digital Garage. This course will not only teach you a lot, but they will give you valuable certifications once you finish them. The course covers digital marketing, social media marketing, search engines and management tools.
The other important one to mention is Hootsuite Academy courses, which focus mostly on social media marketing. Hootsuite is a social media management and is a great tool for social media managers and digital marketing managers. When applying for a job as a digital marketing manager, you will be expected to know your way around a social media management dashboard, and Hootsuite is a good one to know. When you complete the Hootsuite academy course and pass the exam, you can pay a fee and get the Hootsuite certificate, this will help attract employers who are looking for talented Digital Marketing Managers.
To sum up, being a Digital Marketing Manager today is a profession in which you need to adapt to new things swiftly and be both a creative person as well as a logical thinker. However, we are not born perfect and, luckily for us, there are many online courses which can help us learn or upgrade our skills in digital marketing.
Michael Ivanovic Jobhop.co.uk